Saturday, August 30, 2008

Confusion galore

Travel is my other big passion. Right up there with food. I had opened this blog a while back but was yet to write anything.


I guess my entries in the blog won't be as frequent as that of my other blog, finelychopped. Still, there is a lot that I have to write about.


I love to travel. I discovered this fairly late in life. and my wife, Kainaz seems to be game. My favourite holiday spot, without doubt, is Goa. I have gone there to clebrate most of my recent birthdays.


I thought this was a good time to start the blog. Kainaz and I were in the middle of planning our next international holiday to coincide with our seventh wedding anniversary in October. The earlier ones were far easy. Our first trip was to Thailand. That was a fairly easy choice. We knew we wanted to go to the far east and that was the most affordable option. We ended up having the time of our life at Bangkok, Ayuthaya, River Kwai and Pattaya. Our next trip was to Malaysia where Kainaz joined me at an internal conference. We took a break last year as I went home to Calcutta. These trips coincided with our anniversaries. We went to the Sunderbans from Calcutta for our anniversary.


We are planning an international trip this year. We have had enough of the Far East with our last two holidays, Kainaz's work trips to Bangkok and Hong Kong and my recent trip to Singapore.
So we started with looking at Egypt. Egypt was always in our list but we had found it too expensive in the past. We set our site on the mummies this year and began our research. Then we hit a bit of a block as we came across stories off hotels which were apparently not too good and stories of squalor in the cities. Now we are both history buffs and were looking forward to taking in the wonders of Egypt. At the same time we haven't travelled that much and still need to squeeze our bank accounts to make the holidays possible. So we do like to get pampered in our holidays and this seemed a bit dicey in Egypt.


Which is when we begun to look at Turkey. The key selling point here is that you get a taste of Europe. In fact there seems to be so much to see at Turkey. the only thing is that it is not as iconic or famous as Egypt.


As we spoke to a few travel agents suddenly we veered towards Austria and Switzerland. However, our apprehensions about the costs and the weather pushed us eastward again.
So as the stakes go right now, it is Turkey first, with Egypt as a persistent second.


Ideas, suggestions, tips are most welcome

2 comments:

k said...

Had it not been for the weather crisis, i would vote for Austria anyday!

Scarlett said...

Between Egypt & Turkey, I'd go for Turkey too. It's supposed to be really beautiful, especially the coast.

Related Posts with Thumbnails